Sometimes I wonder if sense just evaporates from me. Most of the time I am super sensible and quite switched on, but then sometime this super sense fails. Often at the most inconvenient moments.
As I was preparing to shoot my The Collins Top Trio post, I thought I’d give everything a good press and in doing so I melted one of them. I managed to melt a piece of the vivid, polyester sleeveless version. I didn’t melt a piece that no-one would see, I melted the front side panel, right in the middle!
Profanities were uttered and a tear or two were shed, but I ploughed on and vowed to mend it ASAP. This baby would not be sitting in my mending pile for months, it was going to be mended then and there.
While I gathered myself I thought that I couldn’t possibly be the only one who had done this and so I thought I would document the process to show you how I did it. I am not attempting to invisibly mend here, but just to make this a wearable garment again.
The thing about mending is that there is no right or wrong way of doing it. You should do what feels natural and mend with the best of your ability with what you have to hand. My best advise is, ‘don’t discard it for a later date or it will never get mended.’
Interestingly it’s hard to see, it probably feels worse than it looks. The only positive thing to say about this brash fabric is that it will aid me in hiding this sin.
I searched in vain but could not find a scrap piece of this fabric anywhere. I suppose it’s not the kind of fabric you would keep. I had to work out a solution and the idea of removing a piece of fabric from the back facing seemed like the best plan of action.
I measured the area I needed to remove and then found an alternative fabric to patch this new hole that I was making. I had nothing similar in colour but this floral fabric was the same weight so I used this.
I drew out of rough pattern of the piece and added a centimetre seam allowance on all edges. Then I cut out the piece. This second picture shows me deciding if I can live with this fabric on the facing. I can. We will come back to the facing shortly.
Image: wrong side facing
I cut the melted piece from my garment. I then added some slim strips of iron-on-glue to the wrong side. This is a lightweight glue, it’s temporary often used in quilting. Yes, I did use an iron, this time with a low heat and a pressing cloth to cushion the blow. I snipped into the corners, removed the iron-on-glue backing paper and folded back a little hem and pressed again.
This is what is should look like. The seam allowance is now hidden and glued in place.
I pressed on some lightweight interfacing on the wrong side, just to secure it. It’s probably not necessary but it didn’t change the drape of the fabric so I went with it.
I decided to backstitch the edge to hold it all together. There are many other stitches that could work here, many more invisible options. I went for a backstitch mainly because it’s a strong stitch and because the fabric allowed me to be quite visual. Thank heavens for crazy patterned fabric!
Back to the facing.
I completed the hole in the facing in exactly the same way using iron-on-glue, interfacing and then a backstitch.
I have worn it a couple of time since and no-one has noticed and quite frankly I don’t care if they do. It’s just a little story about a temporary loss of senses and a crappy old iron.