Hurrah, The Acton Dress has arrived!
I am sure you know by now that I share a studio with Emily of In the Folds, the designer of the Acton. It has been in the works for some time and I have seen the evolution of this pattern from it’s humble beginnings to the glorious dress you see today.
Back in April, Emily asked me if I would like to test this for her, of course I agreed. I wanted to test view B which is the wrap skirt option. I knew that with my mum-tum this option would be the perfect cover up. It would remove the need to wear my ‘suck ’em up’ pants! (Before you say it, I know my stomach is not enormous, but it’s my main bugbear and I feel a bit self conscious about it!)
I started out testing a straight size B but I soon realised that this size would be too big in the bodice. My issue isn’t the boob size, it’s the depth. I am very short in the body, which means my boobs don’t actually sit where most sit, they are essentially higher. So for my first proper toile I made up a straight size A, not sure why I decided to go down an entire size!
There was a ‘new to me’ element in this pattern. I have never sewn princess panels before, how is this possible? I think it’s because I often associate them with vintage style frocks, but with the racer back and the thin straps I think the design is more contemporary. I was surprised how easy the princess panels were to place together and this is where my tailors ham came in very useful!
The wrap skirt is very unusual. From a construction perspective I had no idea how this would ever fit together. There is a moment when you are attaching the skirt to the bodice at the side seams and thinking ‘have I done something wrong here?’ and ‘this will never work!’ It does work!* I have to say I have never come across anything like it before. A little bit of sewing magic happens right before your very eyes.
*(the instructions are now fuller in this area, more details have been added).
You can see from the photos below what I mean. The skirt is essentially a giant square.
This was a good toile but after wearing it I could see there were a few issues with the fit. It’s just a bit too tight. I had initially reduced the seam allowance on the side seams and at the zip to give me some breathing space but still it was not quite right.
There is some ‘back fat’ splurge going on (not shown for obvious reasons). You can also see in the picture above that there is some pulling under the arm pit towards the boob, indicating it’s too small. I wanted the wrap to meet in the middle too and it doesn’t quite get there. Finally, I cut the hem too short, I was a little overzealous with the scissors.
But this really would have been a wearable toile if I hadn’t burnt a dirty great hole in the back of it when giving it a final press. Tears were shed.
I enjoyed the pattern testing process and I have big love for this dress. It’s a great dress to try out new skills, especially with the unique construction. It made me determined to sort out my fit issues as I had a bigger plan up my sleeve.
…to be continued…