I recently made some Henry dresses as part of the Brooklyn Pattern Company blog tour. You might remember, they were pretty special. I went a bit crazy and made 3, each with a slightly different style.
My sister snapped them up straight away for my niece who hates me. Well she doesn’t hate me exactly, but she is extremely suspicious of me. I was happy to hand them over as I will do anything to buy favour.
This left me with the little problem of my 4 year old model, Ava. I needed to thank her for modelling, she was very patient! I knew she loved the ‘Sunshine & Lollypops’ version so I had a rummage through my stock pile and found a few choice pieces.
There wasn’t much to go at, but certainly enough for a skirt. I had much more of the Nano Iro’s Pierre Pocho fabric, so I decided to use that for the body. It’s a double gauze fabric, light and slightly transparent so a lining was in order. I thought that the waistband and pockets would work really well in the diagonal candy stripe ‘scrumptious’ fabric.
So I went back to the Henry dress pattern. Time to make this baby into a skirt. There wasn’t much to do really. I lowered the pocket placement on the side panels, leaving the pockets shallower than the original dress. If I had been smarter I would have increased the length of the pocket facing but I am not and I didn’t! They are still a usable pocket but not as deep as the dress version. I added an elastic waistband and a lining and really that was it.
I tentatively sent it to Erin of the Brooklyn Pattern Company, slightly unsure if this kind of thing was a ‘no go’. I have worked with many creatives over the years in advertising and design so I know that messing with creative can be tricky business. My apprehension was unfounded, these sewing creatives are totally rocking, she loved it!
Lets hope Ava feels the same!